Thoughts on NaPoWriMo, one week in…

Only a week, is it? Actually, it’s flown by, and I’m lovin’ it (and much respect to those who participate in NaNoWriMo each November).  An event like this sharpens the poetic senses, if you know what I mean; someone once wrote that inspiration works about 10% of the time… and that as writers we have to figure out what to do about the other 90%. Inspiration is a strange thing and I’m beginning to understand that, in fact, she’s always there; it’s just that so much of the time we’re not looking hard enough. ‘Having’ to do something and making a commitment brings its own muse.

I enjoy the way writing a poem each day focuses my mind –it seems to have created a kind of heightened awareness where ideas are walking right up to slap me around the face as if to say ‘hey – what about this, then?’

Also – and perhaps most importantly – I don’t feel I’m just sending my poetry into a void. What I love is that there are real people out there, motivated by the same things as me, and who actually read what I write and form opinions – and what an absolute joy it is to read everyone else’s wonderful submissions.

So virtual love and hugs to all the new online friends I’ve met in this first week of NaPoWriMo and may we all travel successfully together to journey’s end!

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under NaPoWriMo 2012

2 responses to “Thoughts on NaPoWriMo, one week in…

  1. I must say I couldn’t have put it better myself. I am enjoying the whole experience.

  2. I’m really enjoying it too; all the sharing is fab!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s